Saturday, December 8, 2007

here is a link to a brief article that shows the nerves that can be irritated in the sports hernia

its an article on groin pain with some fairly weak graphics for description, yet they are so good since they are very informative. i have mentioned before the entrapment of the ilioinguinal and iliohypogastric nerves, as well as the genital branch of the genitofemoral nerves, and how scar tissue from injuries like the sports hernia can form in the inguinal area and cause nerve pain. these neuromas can form from microtears and can cause chronic pain.
http://www.capitalherniacenter.com/groin_pain.htm

4 comments:

Dennis said...

I have been suffering from what I now know as "groin pain" for YEARS and, while I'm embarrassed it took me so long, I am heartened by the information available via this blog. I've found orthopaedic doctors aren't very familiar with this view on what may be causing my pain. I hope to avoid hip replacment and back surgery.

April and Joe said...

I saw that you used the term "slap shot gut" on Let's Run...very interesting...I've always had pain about an inch or so above where the sh is supposed to be. This news is both good and bad because I don't want to go under the knife again! Have any of your practitioners given you ideas to use to help with this injury, if that's in fact what you have? One article on google said that the course of recovery is pretty long (as we know). I wonder, knowing this, if prolotherapy might help? What are your thoughts on this? Think I should get an MRI?

Sports Herniac said...

i wish i knew!
i am counting on my osteopath who does the nt and prolo to figure it out and help me.
i had an mri and it showed nothing. it scarred over by now. entrapped nerves in the scar tissue. the goal is to free up the nerves, with nt + manual work and we'll see if prolo gets put in as well.

Ahne SD said...

Great info

Transversalis Fascia