Friday, November 9, 2007

inguinal ring and oblique tearing

in tearing the external oblique aponeurosis, the ilioinguinal and/or iliohypogastric nerve(s) can be entrapped in scar tissue or may simply be irritated by the layers of muscle sliding across one another during movements. think about it- two layers of muscle, fairly thin, with nerves not only passing through the muscle itself but also in between the two layers. each layer is responsible for your torso moving/twisting/bending in unique ways; the grain of the muscle fibers run in different directions for each layer.
note the inguinal ring's location along the obliques. think about how that ring can be stretched or even torn. note the nerve bundle and veins that pass through that ring. when that ring is physically altered, don't you think that that vascular and nervous bundle would also be alterted and irritated?
incidentally, that bundle also contains the spermatic cord. under the cord is the genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve. naturally, an injury in this area can cause nerve irritation which equals pain in the pathways of those nerves and the spermatic cord.

4 comments:

Matthew Russell said...

I have something similar to this. Back in fal 2002 in cross country nationals I had a cramp and ended up running and sprinting at the ead tearing my muscle. I think it is maybe my internal oblique or transversus abdomial/fascia. It does not bother me when I cycle but it does when I run. more so when I race half marathons to the marathon. I am getting acupuncture right now hoping that will help and deep tissue massage to break up the scar tissue. It has been a pain I have been dealing with for 6 years now. When it is really bad it feels like someone is jabbing me with a

Matthew Russell said...

knife. Do you have any other advice?

pc said...

First of all, thank you for all the work you have dont on this site. It has really helped me in understanding the injury and the related injuries I have had for years. I have an appointment for the sports hernia surgery next month with Dr. Meyers. Has anyone had their gentifomoral nerve cut? He believes that is one of the causes of pain to my testicles. I am hoping to hear from somebody who has experienced life after getting the nerve cut. He said I would get a tingling or numb feeling in my upper thigh. Is that better than the pain? How severe is the tingling/numb feeling?

pc said...

First of all, thank you for all the work you have don on this site. It has really helped me in understanding the injury and the related injuries I have had for years. I have an appointment for the sports hernia surgery next month with Dr. Meyers. Has anyone had their gentifomoral nerve cut? He believes that is one of the causes of pain to my testicles. I am hoping to hear from somebody who has experienced life after getting the nerve cut. He said I would get a tingling or numb feeling in my upper thigh. Is that better than the pain? How severe is the tingling/numb feeling?