Thursday, April 19, 2007

Doctors

So, you probably know that ultimately, surgery is really the cure for the sports hernia.

There are two doctors in the US that have successfully done many of these sugeries.
1) Dr William Meyers, out of Drexel University in Philadelphia. I have personally spoken with his assistant and have traded emails with the doctor himself. Each of my experiences with communicating with them was excellent. Dr Meyers seems to be genuine in his care of his patients and has performed thousands of these operations on people of different backgrounds, both pro athletes and non athletes. He claims there are 17+ variations of the injury.
2) Dr Cattey out of Wisconsin. I don't know much about him other than some people have had great success with him.

In the world, the most experienced surgeon for AP is Dr Ulrike Muschaweck, who is based in Munich, Germany. She has performed over 14,000 hernia operations. She tends to operate on pro soccer players worldwide, as this injury is more or less common amongst soccer players. She has developed an approach that she calls the "minimally invasive technique." She has a very high success rate. That is who did my surgeries (I had bilateral AP). I had a great experience with her and her staff. She performs 5 to 6 surgeries a day, 6 days per week.
The website for her clinic is www.hernien.de and is worth a visit if you are suspecting that you have a sports hernia. By the way, she only performs surgery in Germany at her clinic, with her experienced staff, so if you want her to do your operations, then you must travel to Munich.

3 comments:

April and Joe said...

It is really great to see this blog. I am hopeful that more people find it and I might suggest you link up to www.letsrun.com on their running thread to promote your blog as a complementary resource.

My question to you is, what was your exact timeframe for recovery. I'm in the middle of recovery and need some real-life accounts (and some reassurance).

Unknown said...

So you're basically saying I'm fucked. Since I don't have that kind of money to pay for surgery.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.